Skilled Representation From A Proven Criminal Defense Lawyer
If your freedom, or perhaps even your life itself, is on the line because of criminal charges, you need a resourceful, determined advocate on your side. We are a father-son led Chicago criminal defense firm with more than 35 years of experience aggressively protecting the rights of the accused. No matter how challenging your case may seem, we can help.
Our experienced team of attorneys include:
Our founding attorney, Stephen L. Richards, began his legal career as a law clerk for the chief justice of the Illinois Supreme Court – where he has since argued seven cases. He then spent more than a decade as an assistant public defender in Cook County and many more years in a leadership role with the Office of the State Appellate Defender. All this experience now serves the firm well as we work to defend the rights, and the very lives, of people accused of crimes.
Attorney Joshua S.M. Richards has valuable experience representing clients in over a dozen jury trials. He concentrates much of his trial preparation on expert testimony and has experience cross examining government forensic scientists.
A Trial-Tested Attorney With A Wealth Of Complex Case Experience
Our experience includes more than 150 felony jury trials, involvement in hundreds of death penalty cases, extensive appeals work and arguments before the Illinois Supreme Court. Among the high-profile cases we have handled are:
- Representation of one defendant in the 1993 Palatine Brown’s Chicken multiple homicide, who was sentenced by a jury to life rather than the death penalty
- Successful defense of William Buck in the first Illinois capital murder case to be tried after clemency was granted to death row inmates in 1993
- Multiple appellate cases that have established important precedents involving jury selection, prosecutorial misconduct and other pivotal issues, including reversals in eight first degree murder cases.
Our firm is located on the West Loop, a convenient location with easy access parking. We represent people accused of crimes throughout northern Illinois and also handle civil rights cases.
The Experience You Need In A Range Of Criminal And Civil Law Concerns
Whether you need an aggressive advocate if you are charged with burglary or need help fighting a wrongful conviction, you can trust our experienced criminal defense attorneys to fight tirelessly for you.
Our experienced attorneys can assist you with a variety of criminal defense cases, including:
- DUI defense
- Drug charges defense
- Federal crimes
- Murder defense
- Wrongful convictions
- Civil rights cases
At Law Office of Stephen L. Richards, our attorneys have made a career out of winning complex cases and fighting for the rights of our clients in state and federal court. When your freedom is at stake, you have no time to waste. You need to contact an experienced defense attorney as soon as possible to get started on your case.
Why Choose Our Firm?
Founding attorney Stephen L. Richards has built the firm’s reputation for strong criminal defense over the last three decades. Joined by his son, Joshua S.M. Richards, they provide a unique combination of skills to form a strong defense for the toughest criminal charges, trials, appeals and post-convictions, as well as civil rights cases.
When you meet with us, you will see that our experience sets us apart, including:
- Familiarity with courts and officials in the Chicago area and throughout northern Illinois, which Stephen L. Richards gained over the course of more than 30 years practicing law
- Ability to investigate and evaluate all documents, forensic evidence and other material relevant to the case
- Use of technology to manage information and mount the best possible defense
- Experience in plea negotiation and mitigation of sentencing, backed by the proven ability to argue cases in front of a judge and jury
- We offer a flexible, flat-fee billing system so you and your family are clear on the costs involved
- We take the time to listen to your questions and concerns to ensure that you understand your legal options
- We are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week via email, text or a phone call
When it comes to trials, jury selection can make or break a case. From the experience of hundreds of criminal jury and bench trials, we know the right steps to take to ensure those who are accused receive a fair trial. We have won our last five jury trials, including three favorable verdicts in first degree murder cases.
Contact Us For A Free Consultation
Unlike some criminal defense lawyers, we make jail visits. We can step in and offer counsel from the moment you learn you are under investigation. When you need information or answers, you will be able to reach us directly and count on our commitment to you.
To schedule your free consultation, call the Law Office of Stephen L. Richards at , locally at 773-467-7079 or contact us online. Out of our Chicago office, we can assist clients throughout Cook County and Northern Illinois.