Experienced Illinois Homicide Defense Lawyer
If you or a family member has been charged with murder, attempted murder or another serious felony in northern Illinois, the quality and commitment of the defense lawyer you choose could be absolutely critical. For a free consultation with me, Stephen L. Richards — a veteran of over 75 felony jury trials, including numerous high-profile murder trials — please contact my Chicago law firm.
I have led the defense of many people charged with homicide in Illinois, including several who faced the death penalty. This experience has earned me the designation of certified lead counsel by the Illinois Supreme Court Capital Litigation Trial Bar. Only a select group of attorneys has attained this certification, for which a review committee rigorously evaluated my jury trial experience, forensic knowledge and ethical standards.
A 25-Year Record Of Acquittals, Reduced Consequences And Successful Appeals
My efforts have produced many positive outcomes, including:
- Avoidance of a capital (death) sentence for one defendant in the Palatine Brown’s Chicken multiple homicide case, and for another individual charged with a killing during a bank robbery
- Reduction of a murder charge to involuntary manslaughter, leading to the release of my client
- Effective use of the insanity defense to earn a murder defendant’s acquittal on appeal
- Many pleas for mitigation in sentencing that have saved defendants’ lives and preserved hope for rehabilitation and a productive future
Legal And Technical Knowledge Enabling Strong Murder Defense
Whether you must ultimately stand trial for murder or negotiate with the prosecution, you can depend on my commitment to total case preparation. I am dedicated to:
- Comprehensive, detailed investigation of all aspects of your case
- Research into state and nationwide legal precedents useful in your defense
- Resourceful, effective handling and presentation of complex DNA, scientific and forensic evidence
- Tireless protection of your rights throughout every phase of your murder investigation and trial if necessary
Not every criminal defense lawyer is prepared for the pressure and complexity of a murder case and potential trial. For personal attention from an attorney who has what it takes to go the distance with you, please call or email me today.